Saturday 28 April 2012

Reversal of Fortune.........





Ang. 402 SriGuruGranthSahib
Āsā mėhlā 5.
Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:
Apusat bāṯ ṯe bẖa▫ī sīḏẖrī ḏūṯ ḏusat sajna▫ī.

That which was upside-down has been set upright; the deadly enemies and adversaries have become friends.

Khalsa Ji

Sometimes we feel overwhelmed by the challenges of life and become disgruntled owing to our misfortune. Maharajh says that through accepting Waheguru's will our misfortune can be reversed:

There was once a King who was blessed with a baby son but who was blind , at the same time the King's minister was blessed with a daughter but she had three mammary glands as opposed to just two , and by coincidence the King's courtier was blessed with a son but who was kubha {hunchback}. When the King became aware of the other deformed children it was decided to summon a Jyotshi {astrologer} to explain the bizarre coincidence.

"This is a very grave matter oh King!" sighed the Jyotshi. "As soon as they get older they must be expelled from your kingdom in order to avoid bad luck!"

The King accepted this as the utmost truth and as soon as they were old enough to fend for themselves the king promptly dismissed them and sent them to the forest. The poor children wandered around the forests in the belief that Waheguru would sustain them. When they became overwhelmed with hunger "what should we do?" they asked each other.

"I am blind" said the King's son "she is a feeble female this is very difficult".

"I will stand underneath the tree whilst you climb onto my shoulders and pick the fruit from the tree" suggested the King's son "You eat the fruit yourself and throw fruit down for us two".

"This is a good idea" agreed the kubha {hunchback}. Immediately the King's son bent down and lifted his companion onto his back. He began to pick the fruit hungrily.

"He's eating all the best fruit himself" whispered the girl "he's not giving us a fair share".

Upon hearing this the blind child became angry and threw his companion from his back. Immediately the hunch of this child became straightened as a result of striking the ground with such force. He was totally fit and healthy now. When the hunched child became angry at being thrown to the ground he picked up a large stone and struck the head of the blind child. Upon receiving this blow some blood seeped from head as a result of which his vision returned. The hunched child kicked the girl in the chest in anger but miraculously the third mammary ceased to be and her chest became normal.

Khalsa Ji

When Waheguru does mehar one's misfortune can be reversed:
Anḏẖkār mėh raṯan pargāsi▫o malīn buḏẖ hacẖẖna▫ī. ||1||

In the darkness, the jewel shines forth, and the impure understanding has become pure. ||1||

As a result of chanting Naam the polluted mind becomes pure.
Ja▫o kirpā gobinḏ bẖa▫ī.

When the Lord of the Universe became merciful,
Sukẖ sampaṯ har nām fal pā▫e saṯgur mil▫ī. ||1|| rahā▫o.

I found peace, wealth and the fruit of the Lord's Name; I have met the True Guru. ||1||Pause||
As a result of finding Satguru I obtained all treasures through Naam.
Mohi kirpan ka▫o ko▫e na jānaṯ sagal bẖavan pargata▫ī.

No one knew me, the miserable miser, but now, I have become famous all over the world.

Anyone who has chanted Naam has found fame and respect.

Sang baiṯẖno kahī na pāvaṯ huṇ sagal cẖaraṇ sev▫ī. ||2||

Before, no one would even sit with me, but now, all worship my feet. ||2||

As a result of respecting Gurbani I in turn have become respected.
Ādẖ ādẖ ka▫o firaṯ dẖūndẖ▫ṯe man sagal ṯarisan bujẖ ga▫ī.

I used to wander in search of pennies, but now, all the desires of my mind are satisfied.

Instead of searching for worthless items I have now found a priceless gem.
Ėk bol bẖī kẖavṯo nāhī sāḏẖsangaṯ sīṯla▫ī. ||3||

I could not bear even one criticism, but now, in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, I am cooled and soothed. ||3||

I used to get distraught at the slightest comment but by engaging in Sangat of SriGuruGranthSahibJiMaharajh I am unaffected by these words owing to the bliss of Gurbani.
Ėk jīh guṇ kavan vakẖānai agam agam agma▫ī.

What Glorious Virtues of the Inaccessible, Unfathomable, Profound Lord can one mere tongue describe?
I wish I had more tongues to sing the praises of Waheguru since one tongue is not enough.
Ḏās ḏās ḏās ko karī▫ahu jan Nānak har sarṇa▫ī. ||4||2||124||

Please, make me the slave of the slave of Your slaves; servant Nanak seeks the Lord's Sanctuary. ||4||2||124||

Please make me the servant of your servants i.e. so that I may be humble at the Gurdwara etc..........


1 comment:

  1. This was inspiring... its my request that you keep writing

    ReplyDelete